26 ways to save on your wedding
1. Cut the guest list. This will slash your catering costs and save on invitations and even the number of centrepieces.
2. Think off-peak season and save thousands.
3. Hold your ceremony and reception in one spot—it will cut travel time for vendors you pay by the hour.
4. Skip the Saturday wedding.
5. Have bigger tables so you need fewer centrepieces and tablecloths.
6. Use more greenery than flowers.
7. Swap out costly flowers—did you know peonies can be five times more expensive than roses?
8. Stick to just one or two kinds of flowers.
9. Buy flowers that are in season.
10. Include nonfloral pieces, like seashells or fruit.
Food & Drink
11. Skip the main course—just have passed hors d’oeuvres or stations.
12. Offer beer, wine and a signature cocktail instead of a full bar.
13. Skip the champagne toast.
14. Order a small one- or two-tier cake and then supplement it with a larger sheet cake (hidden in the kitchen).
15. Keep the add-ons simple.
16. Use fresh flowers, not sugar ones.
17. Skip exotic fillings like guava and mango.
Stationery & Favours
18. Get single-page invites to save on postage.
19. Give out one favour per couple.
20. Make your cake the favours.
21. Have favours double as escort cards.
22. Email your save-the-dates.
23. Make your own menu cards, escort cards and wedding favour packaging.
Photo, Video & Music
24. Have a photographer you love but can’t afford the prices? Ask them if they have an associate shooter who will do your wedding for less.
25. Opt for a smaller band.
26. Hire a band or DJ who can do both the ceremony and the reception.